Kali Mera IFWTWA Members!
We have a wonderful IFWTWA media trip planned for the adventurers out there. Before I go on to share some of the details of the itinerary that is being finalized by our hosts, let me make certain I have let you know a few things.
- You must fly into Athens and be there by Sept. 6, 2015. We are working on a hotel to offer you as we would like a central meeting point for the Sept. 7 start of trip.
- This trip is more of a slow exploration. We will not be using airplanes once in Greece. We will use a bus and the ferry system. This is a slower mode that requires you to sit back and travel like a Greek. We will not be on a luxury trip; most hotels and accommodations are at the 3 & 4 star level (Greek style).
- It will be an active trip. You may be asked to carry your own bag (carry-on size suggested), hike, swim, walk or otherwise enjoy the landscape and offerings. Apologies are sent in advance that Greek authorities cannot guarantee any accommodation for special needs or mobility issues. Please make sure you can handle the sunny, hot weather.
- The order of the itinerary may change as transportation schedules may change.
- No airfare is included.
- All meals, accommodations (except the night of 9/17- we are working on that in Athens), tours, transfers including ferries are included 9/7 to 9/17.
- The trip is open to 4 journalists from US, UK (England), France, and Germany who are in good standing with IFWTWA. Our Canadian and Australasia members may have their own trip depending on the success of this one. No guests are allowed.
- Give your best effort to preparing a complete application, emphasizing your best outlets for the host to review, as this trip is limited to only 4 IFWTWA members.
- You must have an updated profile on IFWTWA.org
- The registration fee for this trip is $200 as the trip is twice the length that we have offered in the past.
- Hosts have confirmed that they are covering all tips at meals, but bring something for your chamber maid and possibly the porter, if any.
- Michelle Winner will be accompanying you, but I (MW) have never been on this one so we are truly going to have an adventure together!
- Updates to the itinerary will be supplied as they come in.
The deadline for applications is May 15, 2015.
Accepted journalists will be notified by May 30, 2015.
If you are ready to find out what you will be experiencing, here is what we know so far:
- Tour around the island , visit some of the most typical and traditional settlements of Paros
- Archaeological Museum, short stay
- Visit Panagia Ekatontapyliani, the oldest church in the Cyclades
- Visit the historical Castle
- Visit some of the most important beaches of the island such as Kolibithres.
- Visit the beaches and get familiar with the kite surfing and other water sport activities of the island
- Visit Naoussa, the most picturesque and cosmopolitan village of the island
- Visit winery
- Prepare a traditional recipe
- Visit a traditional bakery and experience the traditional way of baking the bread
- Visit the valley of butterflies
- Tour around the island, visit some of the most typical and traditional settlements of Milos as well as the beautiful multi-colored beaches
- Enjoy the sunset from Plaka Village
- Visit the hot springs
- Opportunity to do the boat tour by Thalassitra or the long boat tour (depending on the weather conditions or other reasons).
- Experience the Geological Park of Milos
- Explore the Mining Museum
- Taste local “volcanic” delicacies at Sirocco
- Walk through the Catacombs, one of the most ancient Christian communities worldwide
- General tour around the island with beaches that were used as the setting of many film productions (Water sports, beach bars, etc.)
- Visit the Museum
- Visit the beautiful Maganari
- Sunset in the Virgin Gkremniotisa with fantastic views of the island
- Walk in Paleocastro with quaint streets of Chora
- Cheese Tasting at the Municipal Creamery
- Visit the Tomb of Homer
- Visit the archaeological site of Skarkos
- Visit Milopotas
- Tour around the island, visit some of the most typical and traditional settlements, as well as the exotic beaches of Alonissos
- Excursion by boat to the National Marine Park of Alonissos, the greatest natural marine park of the Mediterranean Sea (depending on the weather conditions or other reasons).
- Visit typical Chora (Alonissos’ Old Town)
- Learn how to make a traditional cheese pie
- Hiking at the two small chapels of Aghii Anarghiri
- Scuba diving at the beach of Roussoum